Sixth grade is a transitional year between the self contained classroom of fifth grade and the classroom changes of the seventh and eighth grades. The students are also guided in the development of organization skills necessary for upper middle school. There are two levels of sixth grade language arts and math available to sixth grade students.
The sixth graders act as mentors to their Kindergarten buddies.
- Language arts at the sixth grade level builds proficiency in the communication skills. Reading objectives promote the development of vocabulary and comprehension skills that foster reading from a variety of genres, authors and media. Content will include broad and complex material. Listening and speaking instruction will help prepare students to interact and express themselves among peers, at home and in the community. Emphasis will be on developing effective writing skills, including prewriting, drafting, revising, editing and publishing compositions that demonstrate proficiency in mechanics and usage. Students will have many opportunities for creative and informational writing. Strategies that enable students to develop spelling and vocabulary skills will be utilized.
Mathematics – 6th grade
- Add/subtract/multiply/divide fractions and decimals
- Add/subtract/multiply/divide using integers
- Estimate with whole numbers
- Determine prime factorization of whole numbers
- Find the greatest common factor and the least common multiple of 2 or more numbers
- Convert between decimals, fractions and percents
- Compute operations with mixed numbers
- Order of operations
- Exponents and integers
- Commutative, associative and distributive properties of numbers
- Solve for missing variable in single step and multi-step equations
- Identify geometric solids and calculate perimeter/area/circumference/volume of geometric objects
- Use statistical methods to interpret date – median, mode and range, interpret graphs, table, histograms, line graphs, stem and leaf plots and line plots and probability
Mathematics – Advanced
- Solve proportions
- Work with percents greater than 100 or less than 1
- Add/subtract/multiply/divide with integers
- Study simple algebra and pre algebra – identify algebraic terms, use distributive property, combine like terms, solve single, two-step and multi-step equations with whole numbers, integers and rational numbers, solve and graph inequalities, use ratios, study percent and estimation and interpret graphs
- Apply principles of measurement and geometric thinking – understand angle relationships and parallel lines, polygons, triangles, quadrilaterals, determine the area of various geometric objects, determine perimeter and circumference
- Use appropriate statistical data to interpret data
Science – Earth Science
- Earth science focuses on the composition, formative processes and history of the Earth, solar system and universe. Investigations of Earth include the four main systems: the atmosphere, the hydrosphere, the biosphere and the geosphere. Each system is composed of unique characteristics, which interrelate to compose the system of the universe.
Social Studies – World Geography – Western Hemisphere
- Geography is the study of spatial patterns of the human and physical characteristics of the world and its peoples. Students will use geographic knowledge as a tool for understanding the concepts of economics and the impact of recent history on contemporary events. Students will explore how spatial patterns form, change over time and relate to one another through a two-year examination of the regions of the world with the Western Hemisphere being studied in Grade 6 followed by the Eastern Hemisphere in Grade 7. For practical uses, the traditional designations of Eastern and Western Hemispheres have been followed. The Western Hemisphere is treated as the areas of North America, South America and the Caribbean.
Religion – Old Testament
- Introduction to Exegesis
- Historical Books
- Prophetic Books
- Wisdom Books
- The fulfillment of God’s Covenant
- Christian Living – the Christian response, morality, social issues, and Catholic social teachings
Special Activities and Celebrations
- Kindergarten/6th grade buddy activities
- Preschool/6th grade carnival